Thursday, February 25, 2021

A female doctor for a male problem? Really?

 So by now you may realize that my urologist is a female. Why would I seek out a female doctor for a problem that she cannot understand first hand? The answer is, for me at least, quite simple. It has to do with the most important test that a Urologist can do, the Digital Rectal Exam. I have had male and female doctors and have had this exam from both. I can say without fear of contradiction that the experience with females was heads and shoulders above that with the males. Why? Male doctors whether consciously or not tend to be rather insensitive to patient comfort. I suspect it has something to do with homophobic behavior as often I have heard from my male doctors how much they do not enjoy the procedure either, like that should even matter. I do not care if you enjoy the procedure. Just get it done quickly and efficiently and if possible do not cause too much pain.

Female doctors on the other hand tend to have more slender fingers in the first place but do not make excuses for the process. They get in move the finger over the prostate and finish up. The thing that matters is that the doctor feel the area for bumps, that my comfort is considered is a plus so my preferred doctor is tall thin with piano player hands - oh and yes, intelligence and wit. I think I have found such and I am going to stick with her. I did have a second opinion when she wanted to perform a TURP for my enlarged prostate a few years ago, got the opinion which was a concurrence and went straight back to her to schedule. Not looking back.

Now I know that the argument for a male doctor is that they can experience the same thing and should have a better awareness of what I am going through, but the the evidence to date points out that their similar anatomy is not enough to make a better result. It doesn't matter that they should respond to the procedure the same way I do it the female doctor is better at it in the first place. Add to that that female doctors seem more caring and are over all more gentle and there is no doubt if I seek another surgeon down the road she will be female.

At some point I may share just how wicked a sense of humor my doctor has, but for now I think I will keep that between the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment