Sunday, April 1, 2012

Stand your ground: The battle of Trayvon and George

It is clear by now that Trayvon Martin wasn't the cute kid in the early photos, nor is George Zimmerman quite as rough as he looked in his early on line shots, and yet some things remain the same. George Zimmerman left his vehicle with the expressed purpose of stopping a black male from "getting away with" something. He was advised by the police to stay put, he didn't and he took his gun with him. At that point he was not standing his ground, he was hunting. It appears that his prey didn't like being hunted. Didn't Trayvon have the right to be unmolested and free?

We will never know for sure what made Trayvon react, but we can suspect that he felt a threat to his security. I would and I'm a 60 something white guy. Imagine what a teenager from Miami must have felt when this guy starts following him at night. Something happened that we will never know, but there are two things that I am sure of.

George Zimmerman should have never left his car and George Zimmerman did not need the gun in the first place.

Had he stayed still for two minutes, the police would have been there and Trayvon would have had a chance to drink that iced tea.

Hunting people is not standing your ground and should be classified as what it is - attempted murder once commenced and murder once the first victim falls. I just can't see blaming the victim. "I was just hunting him down when he attacked officer, so I pulled my gun and shot him." Is that the kind of wild west legacy we give to our children? The traditional self defense test made sense, you can't provoke the fight that you end with a gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment