Saturday, January 16, 2010

Interstellar map in real time

Every day it seems I see stories about discoveries of star systems that are billions of years old but what we do not seem to know or care about is what the whole of space might look like in real time.

I am hoping that out there somewhere is a budding PhD candidate in astrophysics or some related field that can harness the power of several hundred (thousand?) computers and create a real time galactic map. Trying for star positions in real time would seem to complex but to take the known galaxies and move them through space at their relative speeds and directions and bring them to a real time relationship should present a very intriguing picture of space and perhaps give us a better understanding of the Big Bang phenomenon.

So all of you out there, all I ask is a footnote in your research and a link to it when published. Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment